Friday, May 1, 2009

Field Day!

I think I have probably shared before that I am not a fan of the youth soccer mentality . . . . the "everyone gets a trophy" philosophy. I think we have babied our kids to the point that they don't understand that sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. So, I have had to really bite my tongue for the last several years as I've showed up to Field Day and all the kids have done is stupid non-competitive games. I think that's why I'm grateful that my kids participate in sports--life is all about learning how to be both a good winner and a good loser and when you go to get your first job--guess what? You have to compete to get it!

Fortunately for the 5th graders, the district puts on a fabulous district-wide Field Day. Not only are the kids competing against their own classmates, but with 5th graders from all over the district. It was still done in the spirit of fun, but it was all about the elusive blue ribbon as well. I seriously remember practicing for weeks before Field Day with my friends.

Waiting to do the shoe kick


Looking cool with some unnecessary eye black



The weather was kind of poopy, but at least it didn't rain! Kinley and I had a blast watching Cooper and his friends. It is really hitting me that we are just weeks away from Cooper being done with elementary school. His 6th grade paperwork wherein he has to choose his electives is due on Monday and his big 5th grade "puberty talk" is coming up in 2 weeks. I am hard-pressed to find many people who don't remember that day. Yikes!!


Coop and Elias pulling hard!

Coop's #1 fan

1 comments:

Barbara said...

Looks like fun! I was just commenting to Craig that we are a few weeks away from no more middle school - only high school...yikes!