Saturday, July 5, 2008

The 4th is 2nd

Next to Christmas, the 4th of July is our second favorite holiday. From the time I was a little kid growing up in Greeley, the parade was a must, hanging out with family and nearly burning off a finger doing fireworks were all standard operating procedure. Doug remembers being awakened by blaring loud patriotic music that his dad played.

As a family, we have started our own traditions and kept around a few from our families. We started making homemade rootbeer right after we got married (the recipe adopted and modified a bit from Doug's dad) and quickly learned that the 5 gallon recipe was a bit much for the two of us. The last few years, we've only made about two gallons and that seems to be about right--enough to make rootbeer floats with family and friends.

We got to also go waterskiing this year and had a blast. Kaiya and Cooper both got up on skiis and did awesome. Kinley said she will try it when she is 17, but loves riding on the "taco". We all missed a few spots with the sunscreen yesterday and added to our patriotic look by being a bit red, but we had a great day. Thanks to the Ackers and Jeffers for joining our fun and carrying on the tradition of teaching our boys to be pyromaniacs on the driveway! Ugh.

4 comments:

KrisJ said...

It was a lot of fun! Thanks for letting us come over. And the root beer could be stepped back up to 5 gallons because my kids are still talking about how yummy it was!

Felt Family said...

You mean Doug hasn't carried on Dad's 4am music tradition? Come on, that's your heritage!! : ) Glad you had a good day. The pictures of the kids are so cute. My favorite is Kaiya with her sunglasses on. She's quite the diva! Love, Nancy

Erica said...

I agree with the Greeley events. Growing up during this time was so fun. I actually for the first time had my boys participate in the fun and after I ran the 5K we stayed and enjoyed some of the parade.

Anneke said...

Oh my goodness - that looks like so much fun!! I don't think I'll show this slideshow to Tom though... he wants a boat so bad he's about to burst! I keep trying to be the voice of reason ("we don't have money for that"... "what about the other things on our list to buy?"... etc. etc.), but after seeing those pictures, he might not have to talk too much more for me to agree...