Friday, May 2, 2008

Register today!



For the last two weeks, I have taken care of a little boy who is in dire need of a new heart. His belly is distended because his liver function is so bad (when the heart starts to fail, fluid accumulates in the liver and other places) and he has to work pretty hard to breathe. He doesn't talk much because he has slipped into a depression that is hard to describe. He is just 4 years old and has been through so much already. His parents elected to try to fix his heart defect surgically when he was an infant and the repair did not hold up. His mom shared with me that they chose the surgical route initially because she hated the thought of her son's success depending on someone else's tragedy. Now, they have no choice.

As I have watched this little boy sit in his bed all day and struggle to breath, it hit me that I have a responsibility to educate the public about organ donation. This photo was taken from Colorado's organ donation website that you can visit and register to be an organ and tissue donor. It is critically important that you also share with your family what your wishes are. Though not a fun subject to ponder, it is worthy of discussion. Go to http://www.coloradodonorregistry.org and register today!

2 comments:

Ryan said...

As a recipient of not one, but two kidneys I cannot express how strongly I agree with you about this! Please register today!

tamiz said...

I am registered. Thanks for the reminder though!