Saturday, September 15, 2012

Mile Hi Skydiving

For my 40th birthday, I got a gift certificate from Doug to go skydiving.  There wasn't a lot of discussion before he bought it (ok, there was none), but my mom had a gift certificate as well and it appears that our families thought it would be such a hoot to do it together.

It was the weirdest thing--I wasn't really nervous, but I honestly think it was because I was in total denial.  It didn't hit me until we got to altitude and the first tandem jumper opened that plane door.  We both had awesome jumping guides (is that what you call someone who straps himself to you and pushes you out of a plane?), both of whom had done over 5,000 jumps and looked like they were almost bored.  They made it so fun with some occasional teasing and harassment, but they were so calm and cool that it made it seem like no big deal.

I can't even describe that initial jump out of the plane.  It literally took my breath away, but as soon as we were out the door, I wasn't scared.  I followed my guide's instructions to a T and just tried really hard to take it all in.  The initial 60 seconds of free fall was crazy--the wind resistance was intense as was the noise (they told us we were going 120 mph during that part), but a total RUSH.  My brother gave us good advice to really try to take that part in because it goes so fast.  He and Erika did this before they got married and were there to cheer us on.

Once the chute opened, it was really peaceful and beautiful.  Even the landing wasn't too eventful.  I bought a professionally shot video (nothing like a camcorder in your face as you're falling to the ground), but Cooper also put one together as soon as we got home.  He's getting pretty good at doing these.   Here is a link to the video:






I think this is me, but who knows!


Coming in for landing!

Getting ready to go

Ready to go

The cheering squad

She had everyone fooled that she was 61


Someday, Syd!


Would I do it again?  Probably not.  Nothing will replace the first time and it is now crossed off my bucket list!

1 comments:

Elizabeth said...

WOW!! What an amazing day! I still can't believe you did that! You definately are having a fabulous 40th year!! So FUN!!