Sunday, March 6, 2011

Perspective

It's funny how life teaches you little lessons when you least expect it. I have had a rough couple weeks and have been trying so hard to snap out of my funk. All it takes is one life-altering moment to put everything in perspective.

Last weekend, we were at Kaiya's gymnastics banquet enjoying a really nice night when my phone starting ringing off the hook. I kept ignoring the calls, but after about the 10th call from my co-workers, I stepped out and took one of the calls. It was then that I learned that one of my favorite co-workers from the cardiac floor had just tragically lost her husband in a freak accident just days before they were going to head to New Zealand. They had only been married for 18 months and now he's gone at age 27. She and I started at the same time and became buddies very quickly. When you spend 12 hr shifts with people, they become your work family and I just loved this girl! My heart is broken in two for her.

As I've processed the enormity of the event and then attended the memorial service with all of my work family yesterday, it caused me to do some serious reflecting on what is really important in life. Ironically, I had already had plans with some of my old high school friends to get together and we continued on with those plans. We had 12 guests for dinner tonight and had an amazing time--the kids all played and had a ball and it was great to reconnect--I just love every one of these girls and their spouses/significant others. They are just warm, good people in every way. It's the 2nd time we've gotten together since our big 20 year reunion and it's so fun to renew old friendships. I've done the same thing with my gymnastics friends about once a quarter as well and it's just really special to create new memories with people that I have known most of my life.

In honor of Kate, I am going to try really hard to keep this perspective to focus on what's important and let the rest go!


Kaiya's gym family at her banquet--what a neat group of girls!!



Jodi and her super cute girls

Those eyes!


We will not admit our age!!


Shonda and Max


Lupe and Robyn & Jenna

Such a fun night

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree with you more! I just recently ran across this quote and loved it...

"Getting over a painful experience is much like crossing monkey bars. You have to let go at some point in order to move forward." - C.S. Lewis

I think it is important to let go of those things that bug us and just focus on moving forward Love ya!

Elizabeth said...

WOW!! My heart totally goes out to your coworker and her tragic loss. What a devastation that would be. Sometimes when we see others going through tragic times, it does make us think our lives and stresses and issues aren't so big afterall!

So glad you had such a great time with your friends and their families! It is great you have reconnected with them!