Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Overscheduled?

I promised myself when I had kids that they would not be overscheduled. I believe very strongly that kids need down time and time to just play and be kids. That said, I'm afraid I've backed myself into a corner with Miss Kaiya--one that we will have to ride out until spring is over.

She had been doing gymnastics once a week and then playing soccer in the spring and fall with a team she's been with for several years now. It was a busy time, but it worked. Now that she is on the team, gymnastics is twice a week for 2.5 hrs and soccer is twice a week with games and meets both on Saturdays. Of course, none of this includes activities for Cooper and Kinley!

At the time we signed up and paid for soccer, she had not been invited to be on the gym team yet. So, gym is now on M/W and soccer on T/Th (although soccer may now be M/Th in which case she has to miss a practice, which isn't fair to the other girls who show up to all practices). She is holding up remarkably well and staying on top of her schoolwork and church activities. She's showing no signs of being overscheduled and loves to be this busy. When soccer is over, she wants to start piano lessons. Ahhh!! What's a mom to do? You want your kids to thrive and develop their talents, but . . . .

She is loving school this year and absolutely loves her teacher. It has been a struggle, at times, having kids in two different elementary schools, but it was the right choice for all of them. I got to go into her class yesterday for a career day/community day and talk about being a nurse. I brought lots of medical equipment and they seemed pretty engaged. I love this age when having your mom come to your class is still very cool. Kaiya was on cloud 9. :)

Here are a couple pics from yesterday in her class and Kaiya's home life. I may have to rearrange my furniture in the house. Kaiya no longer stands upright. She is either in a handstand or upside down 24/7.



4 comments:

KrisJ said...

I think she deals fine I dont know how you do! You are way more organized with all those schedules than I could be!!

Elizabeth said...

WoW! What a schedule! Lucky for you and Kaiya :)Have Fun!

Erica said...

We used to have Spencer in something, but it has been months since we put him into anything. Then I was thinking the other day that at Jamison's age Spencer was doing gymnistics, and he isn't doing anything. So we are the opposite here- I feel like I have not allowed my kids to do things. I guess we need to get them in some things, uh?

Barbara said...

Hang in there! Love the pictures of Kaiya doing gymnastics.