Thursday, January 22, 2009

Kaiya's big day

I guess I should have known this day might come. Miss Kaiya has made the gym team. The girl learned how to go down the stairs backwards before she learned how to walk and she pulled the towel bars off the walls using them as monkey bars when she was 2.

I'm so torn--gymnastics is a sport I loved down to my bones and yet now it's my bones that ache because of it. So much of who I am I owe to my years as a gymnast and yet I wonder how much I missed. I guess it's all premature to worry about at this point, but she was quite excited and I like the philosophy of her gym and her coach. They practice fewer hours a week than most gyms so that they can have a life outside the gym.

I guess for now, we'll just see how it goes. She moves up to be on the team right after Valentine's Day which means 2 hours of practice on M/W/F with competitions beginning in the spring.

The video is the last skill she needed to make team. It is sort of the hallmark of gymnastics--everything else builds on it. I really thought she was months away from doing this by herself. Guess I thought wrong. The smile on her face was pretty priceless.

9 comments:

tamiz said...

Yay! I loved gymnastics but never got beyond the backhandspring which basically only qualified me for cheerleading!

Paul and Jill said...

Congrats Kaiya! That's great!! We love you.
The Hyrum Lindhardts

The Thompsons said...

OHG! How old is she again? I laugh...I can't even do a forward roll!

KrisJ said...

OMG how exciting!!! CONGRATS GIRL!! The thing you will have to keep in mind is you were in that world and you will be able to watch out for things that other parents wont be aware of. I remember how amazed I was when she was climbing that HIGH rope at rope world and she was tiny, she is amazing and I cant wait to see how far she takes it!

The Toy Guru said...

WOW!! What a little "flipper!" I think it's time for a Primary Talent show!!

Felt Family said...

Good job Kaiya!! You are awesome!

Anneke said...

Awesome Kaiya! What an adventure for your whole family to enjoy!!

Barbara said...

Way to go Kaiya. Brian told me this morning on the way to school that they were starting their week of gymnastics in PE. He did NOT have big smile and after school he had choice words for even thinking of moving like that. Keep up the good work Kaiya.

Dan said...

So when are you putting a recruiting video together?