Thursday, April 10, 2008

We are underway

Well, we are underway. They took Cooper back at about 10:15 and let me just tell you that this kid is a rock. They offered him a sedative at least three times and so did I and when he refused, I asked if they could give it to me instead. No such luck. He got to go to a Rockies game with his dad and grandpa last night, so he was in good spirits last night and this morning. He had no nerves until they took him back to the OR (which is a very specialized OR with more equipment than you can imagine). He hopped up onto the table and at that point, he got super nervous. Doug and I could see his heart beating through his hospital gown. We were both brave and made sure he didn't see our tears--those came after we kissed him goodbye. We are so grateful for the family-centered care here and that they allow parents to gown up and be in the OR during anesthesia induction.

The surgeon expects the procedure to take about 3 hours and warned us that they may have to consult another surgeon to get the old pacemaker out of his abdomen because it is buried so far down in the muscle. They will update us every 45 minutes and I know he is in good hands.

He will not be happy with me posting this photo for the sole reason that he absolutely hated the gown. It had little spacemen all over it and he felt stupid in it. But, I needed this photo to remember just how brave this young man is!!

3 comments:

KrisJ said...

Wow I got all teary reading that. We are praying for you guys and I hope you will call if you need anything! What a tuff guy he is.

Anneke said...

We have been thinking about you guys all day... and added the tears as we were reading this. We love you Cooper!!

Erica said...

I thought about you all day yesterday. I am so glad that you have posted all these entries so we could read about your day. We're praying for that little guy to recover fast!!