Thursday, August 23, 2012

Varsity golf team, baby!

In years past, back to school time was a bit difficult for Cooper.  The vast majority of his buddies play football but having a pacemaker implanted under your armpit precludes him from joining them (OK and being just over 5 feet tall doesn't help, either).  I've always been OK that he can't play.  I love watching football--just not when my kid stands to get crushed.


At an early age, he was introduced to golf.  I grew up on a golf course and my dad has always played.  My brother, Brandon, is quite a decent golfer.  It's such a great sport because you can do it forever.  In fact, my grandmother played until her eyesight got bad enough that she just couldn't see the ball.

Coop developed a pretty good swing and has always wanted to play at the high school level.  Well, he is getting that chance.  Only about 8 boys are on the team, but he made the varsity traveling squad, even beating out a senior.  He has played in 3 tournaments (most of which are on school days, which means missing school, which means lots of stress) and done well.  His final score is always comparable to his teammates and he hangs right in there with the rest of the kids.  He has a maturity about him on the course that makes me proud and it's fun to see him just truly enjoying the experience.  I'm out there walking the course whenever I can and am looking forward to 3 more years of this.  Go, Coop!!


Sporting his FHS bag and shirt












Fist pump after a good putt 
2nd shot at a LONG course in Erie


0 comments: