Monday, January 25, 2010

Star struck!

I hate having to choose between my kids' activities, but Saturday was just such a day. Cooper had back-to-back basketball games and, of course, they were running behind. Kaiya and I had tickets to a DU gymnastics meet, so we had to split early and miss Coop's second game. Grr!

Coop had two good games and finally fouled somebody (his uncles are always telling him to make sure and at least have a couple good fouls) and had two good shots, one of which went almost all the way in and came back out. The best part is that both games were good games--close all the way to the finish and though we lost both games, it was only by two points each. After getting blown out the first couple weeks, it was nice to be so competitive. Even better is that it is now getting close enough to baseball season that his coaches are talking about some pre-season tournaments. Bring it on!!




Kaiya's gym had special VIP tickets to the DU meet, which means it included getting to go to the autograph session with Alicia Sacramone who was a member of the 2008 Olympic team in Bejing. Kaiya was so star struck--it was so cute. She almost couldn't speak when it was her turn to get her autograph. They were being super strict about one autograph per person and no photographs. After that, they had a little Q&A session with Alicia and it was cute to hear all the questions the girls asked her.

Kaiya's coaches saved a group of seats right down on the floor and shortly after we sat down, Alicia sat directly in front of us. A couple girls got brave enough to ask to have her picture taken with them, but I was really hesitant. I always worry about being so intrusive. One of my old college teammates was at the meet too, and she grabbed my camera and told Kaiya to go for it. She didn't hesitate and we got a great picture of Kaiya with Alicia. She already knows what frame she wants to use to put it in her room.

Proud of her autograph


Listening to the Q&A session


My star struck girl with Alicia!


I am sure enjoying my kids being old enough to go to events like that and really enjoy them together. I don't think Kaiya moved for two hours. And, DU won the meet, edging out BYU, which was AWESOME! BYU has the same coach that was there when I competed for USU and it just doesn't seem possible that it has been 16 years since I finished my college career. I realized that the girls who were competing on Saturday night were BORN when I was in college. Holy crap! I felt so ancient!!!

The video clip is of a skill on bars Kaiya has been working on for months. It is called a kip and is the hallmark skill on bars because everything else from here on out builds on it. She was pretty pumped.


3 comments:

KrisJ said...

Im am dreading the day that all 3 have an activity on the same day.. how the crap are we supposed to choose.. Im thinking of getting Rich another wife LOL!! Awesome new skill K!!! The boys had a great couple of games.. glad they are improving!

Barbara said...

Sounds like fun. I knew it was busy when they were little, but I agree it only gets more hectic to juggle all the schedules. Good job on the sports and enjoy!

Felt Family said...

How fun for you and Kaiya both! I can't believe you're that old either! :) It just happens, darn it! The video won't let me view... :(
I'll check later. Good job on the games, Coop!