Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The big 1-2



I am having a hard time believing that in one short year, a teenager will be living under our roof. Cooper turned 12 last Thursday and it just doesn't seem possible that it was 12 years ago that our lives forever changed. I can still remember the tiniest of details surrounding his birth and the days and weeks that followed. And, I remember some of his early years really well. It's from about kindergarten to now that it is all kind of a blur.

Everyone told me when we had kids that it goes by fast and I'm not sure you can really understand that until it happens to you. When you are in the moment of a tantrum or an endless potty training day or strapping kids into carseats, it doesn't seem possible that it's all just gone in a flash, but it is!

When I tucked Cooper in bed the night of his birthday, he asked me if I was going to cry. Duh! Of course I am--I do every year on his birthday. He was a little embarrassed by it, but at the same time, he now has a firm understanding of how lucky he is to be alive. He also deals with a little more of the awkwardness that comes with being different than his peers, but he really handles it well. I am so proud of this kid and so glad to be his mom.

On his actual birthday, all Cooper wanted to do was have wings, pizza and football and have his Uncle Brandon come over to watch the BCS title game with us. He got his wish and I must say it was a pretty easy request. It was just too hard to have a party with school starting back up and his basketball schedule, so it made it easy. He loved getting his gifts just like he did when he was 2 and I will admit having him be a little older made for a nice night.

Over the weekend, Doug's parents came to visit and to be a part of Cooper becoming a Deacon. Now that he's 12, it means more responsibilities at church, but it also means he doesn't have to go sing in the primary anymore, which thrilled him. He loved having his grandparents here and they have such a special bond with him. We really just had a very nice, relaxing weekend with them. I'm so mad that I forgot to pull out the camera more often while they were here.

Jan. 14th is the anniversary date of his open-heart surgery and that day is forever etched in my memory as well. I post the picture to remind myself that even when he's being ornery, he is still our miracle kid.
How it all started . . .

At age 3

Sun kissed towhead

As a 2nd grader

Such a baby face

Just wanted a cheesecake this year

One very loud game chair!

Looking so old



Ready to become a deacon

2 comments:

Felt Family said...

What a great post Haley. We sure love our Coop and are so proud of him and the good person that he is. Thanks for the walk down memory lane. Also, I love the picture of "the boys" before church.

Barbara said...

Congratulations Cooper on turning 12! What a great birthday. It was fun to see the pictures and remember you at those ages.