Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Baseball, baseball and more baseball!

Between Bennett, Cooper and the Rockies, we are enjoying a summer of nothing but baseball. I was missing both of my grandmothers today as I was typing this post. My grandmother on my dad's side used to listen to baseball games on her headphones at night and was known to even stay up late to listen to the end of a Rockies game when they played on the west coast. My grandmother on my mom's side wanted to know who won the Indians game shortly after giving birth to my mom. I guess I come by my love the of the game pretty naturally.

Cooper's season started a couple weeks ago, but their first game was rained out after only two innings. Then, last week, they lost a heartbreaker against Estes Park. Last night, they won a nailbiter in the top of the 7th inning 13-12. Coop had two awesome base hits (the video is terrible, but I still love the sound of a good base hit) and played pretty well behind the plate. He was wiped out by the end of the game, dripping with sweat, but as happy as I've ever seen him. His fist pumps after the game rivaled that of Tiger Woods' fresh off a PGA win. It is so fun to be a part of the same team again this year. His coaches are amazing and the team has good chemistry.

As if little league isn't enough, Bennett's baseball saga has been a week-long event. He ultimately decided to turn down a six figure offer to sign with the Braves and go to ORU to play there. It was a gut-wrenching decision that included some tears, but we all feel very good about his decision. He will be eligible for the draft again in 3 years, so we are looking forward to doing this all over again then! We got to meet his asst coach at ORU and I see now why he feels he belongs at that school. Can't wait to fly to Tulsa next spring and watch him play!

Bennett was selected to play in the Colorado Top 50 game at Coors Field this last weekend. Unfortunately, Mother Nature had other plans and the game had to be rescheduled. But, we did get to watch the Rockies win their 11th straight game first. We sat in the owners' seats directly behind the Rockies dugout. The players were so close we could have reached out and touched them (I restrained myself). Cooper's eyes were pretty big throughout the game.

Focused

Photos of my fav players up close and personal!

Front row, baby!

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Good job Cooper! Looks like fun...and we also understand why it is America's pastime. Although Julie says, "Go Giants".

Jolayne said...

Perhaps you'll be sitting with Cooper through the draft experience someday.