Monday, February 25, 2008

He won what???

So, Doug and I go out for a long overdue date on Saturday to Maggiano's in Denver (dang that food was good!). My brother and his girlfriend watched out kids and we realized as we were leaving that Cooper's science fair project was going to be thrown out if it wasn't picked up by 8:00. We didn't bother going over to the public viewing because I saw all the projects when we dropped Cooper's off on Thursday. I must say I was very impressed with all of the projects and we left there with a renewed sense of "we'll come up with something better next year". Cooper felt good about his project because he came up with a bunch of it on his own, but he didn't like that it wasn't very fancy. We followed the scientific process to a 'T' in seeing if you could fool people into thinking they were eating one thing while smelling something similar--all while blindfolded.

Anyhoo, we get home from our date at 10:00 p.m. and were greeted by Cooper beaming from ear to ear with a smile like I've never seen and a trophy. Turns out when they went to pick up his project, he was greeted by the science teacher telling him he had won the grand prize for all grades--second only to the overall champion. Holy crap! I am not one to turn this blog into a brag-fest, but Cooper really needed a little boost right now and he sure got it. :) Way to go, Coop!!

On another Cooper note, I met with his surgeon a few days ago and feel very good about her. She seemed to really know her stuff and we feel ready for his surgery now. He will not be allowed to raise his arm above his head for a MONTH. Ever try putting a shirt on without raising your arm up? Yeah, right! He will be out of school for about a week and can't even bathe for 2 weeks. The pacemaker itself will go right under his right armpit and the leads will go in the vein just under his clavicle. We learned that they will also make an incision in his abdomen to take out the old one. Turns out they can't really turn the old one off completely, so out it goes. I am so grateful for technology and good surgeons!

4 comments:

KrisJ said...

WOW good for you Coop! We saw the glow when we were picking up Kadens that night we could tell that he had won something! We are on the list of needing to do better next year! I hope youll let us help out during his surgery.

tamiz said...

Ok so I didn't even know you were a blogger. Guess that's cuz I wasn't INVITED!!!! That's ok I'll lurk anyway. Congrats to Cooper. Elias got 4th I guess, but I think that was just for the 4th grade. We thought he was going to be DQ'ed because he handled chemicals and fire with NO GOGGLES and we posted the pix to prove it. OOPS!!

Jolayne said...

Just found your blog. Hope you don't mind another comment. Congrats on the science fair. Hope that all goes well with the surgery.

Erica said...

Congrats Cooper! That is so neat. You know I never did a science fair. I remember my sister doing it once and maybe my brother. It wasn't a requirement for us when I was in school. I think I missed out bit. I am glad that you met with doctor and know a little more about the surgery. We'll be praying for all to go smoothly!!