Thursday, January 24, 2008

The annual cardiology visit


Because I'm the mom and I'm allowed to be sappy, I usually spend the month of January reflecting on Cooper's scary start to life. 10 years and 3 days ago, we brought Cooper home for the first time. As new parents, we had no idea what we were doing let alone a kid with home oxygen needs and a huge scar down the front of his chest.
Coop has taught us a lot about life and the importance of taking things one day at a time. He's a remarkable kid and I'm so proud to be his mom. We found out yesterday at his annual appointment that his pacemaker is on its last leg and it's time for a new model. The battery only has about 9 months left on it, which is plus or minus 5 months. So, it could konk out as soon as four months from now (when we are at Disneyland--no thank you!), so it is time to just "get 'er done." We will schedule the replacement soon. Because Cooper is now in total heart block (meaning none of the impulses that originate in the top of his heart are getting through to the bottom), he needs a more sophisticated model rather than just a new battery. They will put the new one under his armpit and then thread the leads through a subclavicular vein directly to the inside of his heart. As soon as we know more about his surgery, will will update everyone. I put this picture in because this is one of the places in the world that Cooper loves most--a combination of his favorite sport and his favorite pasttime--places where lawnmowers are plentiful as is the smell of fresh cut grass! He told me that's one of the things he loves most about the golf course. :)

2 comments:

Laura said...

Because I'm a girl and I'm sappy, this blog got me a little choked up. Keep us posted and I didn't know you were going to Disneyland! Fun!

KrisJ said...

Well Im SO glad I found your blog! And though it will be a very scary few days Im sure it will be So nice to get the new one put in! We will for sure be here for any thing you guys might need during that time!