Monday, April 16, 2012

Traveling fan club

Trying to squeeze in some visits to see my brother play baseball while juggling our own kids' activities almost took an act of Congress.  To make it happen, we had to divide and conquer.  Doug and Cooper went to Tulsa one weekend and then I met my college bestie in Southern Utah the next weekend.

It was Doug's first trip to Tulsa to see where Bennett has lived and played for the last 3 years and Cooper was lucky enough to tag along.  They used buddy passes (thanks, Jay!) to fly to Oklahoma City and then they drove to Tulsa and got there in time for the first of 3 games.  They got to meet a bunch of Bennett's buddies and go to breakfast and dinner with them.  The highlight of Cooper's trip was getting to hit in the batting cages with Bennett and his teammates.  When you're 14, there might not be anything better than hanging out with a group of fun college guys.  Unfortunately, they had bad weather in Tulsa and one game was postponed to the next day after Doug and Coop left.  They got home just in time for some Easter dinner.

The following weekend, it was my turn.  I flew into SLC and my friend, Lori picked me up there and we made the drive to Cedar City in the snow.  Yes, snow.  A spring storm moved in for the 3 days we were there and forced us to sit through freezing cold wind and even some snow.  But, as miserable as the weather was, the trip was so fun.  Lori and I got lots of girl time in the car and hotel and we got to spend a lot of time with Bennett and my family.  My aunt and uncle even joined us as they were en route from Montana to Santa Fe.  On Sunday, Lori and I got to do a spa day before I flew home.  It really was a great weekend.

The draft is just around the corner and there is a lot of anticipation in our family about what might happen.  But, honestly, as excited as I am about that, I'm more excited to see where life might take this kid.  He's a good person to the core and an amazing brother, uncle and role model to my kids.  I never knew 21 years ago (when I was in college myself) that I would be this close to him.  I changed his diapers and felt more like a mom at times, but now he's truly just one of my best friends.  Love you, B!  Thanks for being you.

These photos are backwards (the boys went to Tulsa on Easter weekend and I traveled the following weekend), but here they are:


Cheering B on in Cedar City


Watching the pitch


The whole fan club including my aunt and uncle


Spa day!



Despite the freezing cold, hard to beat that backdrop!



Nothing like a trip to the Cedar City Wal-Mart to keep entertained


Couldn't convince him to buy it


Yes, he really is that tall!


Tulsa time!


Watching the pre-game action



Breakfast with the gang, including Casady and Bennett's roommate and stud pitcher, Chi Chi



Bad weather in Tulsa kept the boys busy with the tarp



Getting some action in the cages with B


Looking on with anticipation




Enjoying his new camo ORU hat



2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Those look like some fun times with your brother! So glad you guys got to see him play. Awesome!!

Tirsa said...

or maybe you really are that short??? :)