Saturday, September 18, 2010

2 down, 4 to go

Kaiya's fall gymnastics season is in full swing, which means my butt hurts. 2 weekends in a row on hard bleachers is not good for the rear end! I feel like I get a good workout, however, when it's Kaiya's turn on each event. My heart races until it almost comes out of my chest. I get so nervous for her--it's so dumb!!

She had a pretty big bummer of a first meet. The judges were being extra hard and she let her nerves get the best of her on beam and fell three times on silly stuff. It was a big jump to go from Level 4 to Level 5 in the gym and suddenly, things are not so easy. After a long, hard cry and my begging her to no avail try something a little less competitive, she came back this weekend and did so well! She improved her all-around score from a 30.1 to a 32.4 and just needs a 33.0 to qualify for the Level 5 state meet.

Things have always come pretty easy for Miss Kaiya--school, sports, etc. She and I have had many heart-to-heart conversations this last week about the value of hard work and the importance of the mental "game" in all she does--not just gymnastics. My kids have always had chores and responsibilities, but sometimes life requires more than just going through the motions. Cooper has a baseball teammate in the hospital who was fighting for his life and limb a week ago after a freak accident and she has heard me talk about how much sheer determination and hard work it's going to take for this young man to regain the use of his arm. Hard work and determination are of paramount importance in this life!!

Kaiya and I got a great book that we've been reading together about mental toughness in sports and it has led to a lot of great "ah ha" moments for her. She worked so hard at practice this week and got to see the results of her labor today.

I guess through all my parenting mistakes, every once in a while you get one right. :) So proud of this young lady!!



Action shot of cartwheel on beam


All smiles after meet #2




One of her best floor routines ever!

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Great job Kaiya! Glad we can share this through your blog Haley. What is the title of the book you were reading on mental toughness in sports? Keep up the good work!

tamiz said...

Yay Kaiya! I love watching her progress!